Often when we speak with new clients, they are comparing our Dog Sitting services to boarding their pets at a kennel or boarding facility. Certainly there is a lot to consider when weighing your options. You know your pet better than anyone else, so it's up to you to determine if whether Dog Sitting or Dog Boarding is the best fit for your dog.
Here is a list some of the attributes of Boarding Facilites & Kennels versus those of a Dog Sitting Service to help you decide.
Dog Boarding Facility / Kennel
- Very often dogs are not walked, and they get a few quick potty breaks throughout the day instead.
- Will your dog receive one-on-one attention? Very often dogs are kept in group environments with other dogs and don't receive a lot of personal attention, or they can sometimes be confined for a portion of the day in a kennel.
- Some boarding facilities charge more for extra one-on-one playtime, which can make boarding a more expensive option.
- Limited pick-up and drop-off times. You have to drop-off and pick-up your dog between certain hours, which can often cause a conflict with your travel itinerary. For example,if your flight lands after the designated pick-up time of your boarding facility or kennel, your dog will have to spend another night. This can add significant expense to your dog's stay, as well as inconvenience to you.
- Is there a human on staff 24 hours per day? This is a big deal, and I find that many people don't think to ask! Many boarding facilities and kennels do not have a person there overnight. You should always ask if your boarding facility has someone in the building 24 hours a day. What if there is a fire, or your dog gets ill and needs urgent veterinary attention overnight?
- What type of veterinary care will your pet receive, should the need arise?
- Many dog boarding facilities and kennels can get a little smelly due to dogs going to the bathroom indoors. Is there fresh air? How is the facility kept clean and free from bacteria that can spread to other dogs?
- Health risks: Kennel Cough is very common, and it happens when your dog interacts with other infected dogs. Remember the Canine Influenza outbreak that hit Atlanta and Decatur in 2015?
- Some dogs become very stressed over being in a foreign environment without their loved ones. This can cause their appetites to decrease, and in some extreme cases, some dogs can harm themselves with stress-related behaviors such as licking their paws excessively, or chewing on the fencing within their kennel.
- Dogs are comfortable in their own homes, where they have all their familiar toys, beds, and smells. Pet sitting in your home is usually a less stressful scenario for your dog.
- There's something to be said for sleeping in your own bed :)
- Long walks: Dogs get a lot out of walking around their neighborhood. The mental stimulation is just as important as the exercise! Have you read about Why Your Dog Needs to be Walked Daily?
- Quality, one-on-one attention for your dog. Cuddles, talking about the Falcons game, walks, backyard playtime. These are all standard services when you hire a Professional Dog Sitter.
- Dog Sitters cater visits to your dog's specific needs. A tailored service, start to finish.
- There is almost no exposure to bacteria that cause illnesses, such as Kennel Cough.
- You have constant access to your Dog Sitter by phone and email.
- Many Dog Sitters send message updates with pictures at least once per day. Whoa Doggy! sends messages and pictures with every visit!
- If you have another pet at home, your Dog will have companionship, and your Dog Sitter can also care for your other pets!
- Pet Sitting when you have multiple pets is often much less expensive than boarding multiple pets.
- Built-in house sitting. It's nice knowing that along with your dog's well being, your house is being looked after. Plants get watered, mail and newspapers get brought in, and your home security system is being used properly.
- With Dog Sitting there is no need to pick up or drop off your dog before/after your travel plans.
Doesn't a dog sitter sound better to you???
To learn more about our Dog Sitting Service, please contact us any time!